Key recommendations from the report include:
• More of the transport budget should be spent on supporting cycling, at a rate initially set to at least £10 per person per year, and increasing as cycling levels increase
• Cycling should be considered at an earlier stage in all planning decisions, whether transport schemes or new houses or businesses
• More use should be made of segregated cycle lanes, learning from the Dutch experience
• Urban speed limits should generally be reduced to 20 mph
• Just as children learn to swim at school they should learn to ride a bike
• The Government should produce a detailed cross-departmental Cycling Action Plan, with annual progress reports
The full report can be found here.
Ahead of the space for cycling ride and parliamentary debate, the LCC and it's volunteers have been hard at work handing out flyers and letting everyone know about the ride starting at 6pm on Monday 2nd September.
Both myself and head of our Cycle Injury team, Kevin O'Sullivan will be coming from Levenes HQ in Wood Green, via the Haringey feeder ride to add our pedal based presence to the thousands of other London cyclists who will be in attendance.
We'll be in our white LCC #space4cycling t-shirts and I'll have a camera on my head to get some footage of what is sure to be an amazing event. If you spot us, be sure to give the camera a wave!
See you there!
Connect with Levenes Cycle: